I'm embarking on a new chapter in my career as a public school educator. Titled "Fine Arts Teacher", this chapter opens up a world into which I previously had glimpses rather than extended stays. I held admiration for those who chose to be elementary educators not considering myself to be a likely candidate for the role myself. Having spent the first week in my new environment taking in the sights and sounds, I get why people choose to spend their careers with this age group. Wiggle Time.
One of the classes I observed was filled with pre-k students and taught by a woman who's attended my Nia class. I listened to the students go through the days of the week and dates of the month with resounding NOOOOOOOOOOs when the teacher showed them the wrong day and shrill cries of YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS when she pointed to Tuesday, the 26th. Then she announced, "IT'S WIGGLE TIME!" and those little bodies jumped up and wiggled like gummy worms. They occasionally glanced with curiosity at the stranger who got up and wiggled with them until the teacher pointed to me and explained that Mrs. Ross-Moore was the one who taught her all her moves. We made rainbows (their favorite) and wagged our tails like puppy dogs and roared like lions. In that moment, a playfully present click vibrated through my body and I received yet another systemic confirmation of Nia's gifts.
Somewhere along the road to adulthood and beyond, play gets a bad rap. "Too playful in class" carries a negative connotation on a progress report. "If you'd quit playing around and get some work done. . ." is uttered with disdain for someone's lack of "productivity". What would happen if teachers were thrilled to write too playful in class or a boss/colleague/parent offered, Look at the amazingly imaginative work that comes forth from you when you play around. Just think of the magic that occurs in the space of play. Sand becomes castles. Arms become wings. Toes touch the stars and heads peek through clouds. Countless solutions can appear when we open our bodies to juicy imagination.
I invite you to explore spontaneous Wiggle Time, particularly if you are feeling blocked, bored, or frustrated. Of course, WT for the fun of it is highly recommended. My personal favorite for extended play - Nia, where sensation sparks imagination.
Great post. Public education needs you. I hope it is a good experience. My husband has done 4th grade for decades.I love how you put your FB and Pandora on the right. I use blogger and have not seen that feature..
ReplyDeleteYay for Wiggles! Rainbows and tail wagging are my two favorite wiggles!
ReplyDeleteI do wish this was written into every class. At LEAST once during the class there was "wiggle time". That could change the world.
ReplyDeleteOMG. I love this post. The Universe is so honored (as am I) to have you among the stars that shine so radiantly in this playtime called life.
ReplyDeleteWIGGLE TIME...is ANY TIME!! I'm wiggling today! I love you Joi!