Sharing my passion for Nia and flowing with those pearls that life brings.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

WITH my body

At my recent Nia Blue Belt training, we were asked to share our reason for being there. Mine was to shift my relationship with my body and clear up the mixed messages I have been transmitting. When I shared this with a friend of mine, she looked at me with bewilderment and asked about me seeing my body as a separate entity with which I was in relationship. It was an interesting question and while I understood her perspective I realized that I was still unclear on my own. Sitting with this has illuminated an attic filled with dusty boxes of beliefs long ago packed away, the perceived security of their presence keeping me from venturing out too far. Seeing my body as something outside of myself had its purpose at various times in my life. These are not those times. Dusty boxes whose bottom corners are mildewed from teetering on damp rafters are being tossed with a mighty "OUT!" to make way for a solid foundation upon which my Sacred Livelihood is built.

From Nia White Belt Principle 11-  Creating a Sacred Livelihood is about consciously bringing your gifts to the world through each choice and action in a way that creates a life of happiness, a sense of purpose, and a sustainable state of health and well-being.

Uniting WITH my body, I am creating my Sacred Livelihood while holding the space for unconditional love. OUT! has made way for YES! as I transform my attic into sacred space in which I embrace my unique purpose with my body.

3 comments:

  1. Jane Clayton-MatthewsDecember 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM

    Joi, this post deeply resonates with me. As a child, I learned to leave my body and that lesson served me well. As an adult, I choose to leave that unhealthy adaptation behind. However, during times of extreme stress, and when I am not consciously aligned with the belief that I am safe in my body, there is a way that I still leave it. Discovering a way, (usually through movement) to return to my body creates an experience of pure bliss. At that dramatic moment of re-entry, I return to the sensation of sacred livelihood. When I am here with sacred livelihood I take excellent care of myself. Your post reminded me to remember this about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joi, thank you for your beautiful post. Uniting with my body instead of fighting against it is a theme that I continue to explore. For me, choosing sensation throughout the day is helping me to appreciate the vast wonders that my body has to offer. Thank you for the reminder!
    With love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I'm not receiving your blog posts anymnore. I'll have to check on that. I just found this. It is interesting how we view our bodies isn't it? My perspective about my body has changed over the years from being very self-loathing to self-centered (when I was doing body building) to loving my body, loving my life.

    Nia has really helped me to reflect and empower my self image. I see it in others, too.

    And I just want to say that I love YOUR body, too. You are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete